In case you have deluded yourself in to thinking that slavery wasn’t that bad or maybe you don’t believe in generational trauma - here’s some facts for you
• Between 12 - 12.8 MILLION Africans were stolen from Africa over a span of 400 years
• Of those 12 million, 2 MILLION died in the middle passage
• Slaves were punished by whipping, shackling, hanging, beating, burning, mutilation, branding, rape, and imprisonment
• Often other slaves were forced to whip another slave, sometimes their own family members
• There is not one case of a slave voluntarily returning to his slave master after escaping to freedom
• The United Daughters of the Confederacy, seeking to find a "faithful slave" to erect a monument to, could not find one
• James Bradley a former slave said - How strange it is that anybody should believe any human being could be a slave, and yet be contented! I do not believe that there ever was a slave, who did not long for liberty.
• a slavemasters’ efforts to produce the "ideal slave"
Maintain strict discipline and unconditional submission.
Create a sense of personal inferiority, so that slaves "know their place."
Teach servants to take interest in their master's enterprise.
Prevent access to education and recreation, to ensure that slaves remain uneducated, helpless, and dependent.
• Education of slaves was generally discouraged for fear that knowledge and literacy would cause rebelliousness
• After slaves were whipped, overseers might order their wounds be burst and rubbed with turpentine and red pepper. An overseer reportedly took a brick, ground it into a powder, mixed it with lard and rubbed it all over a slave.
• A metal collar was put on a slave to remind him of his wrongdoing. Such collars were thick and heavy; they often had protruding spikes which made fieldwork difficult and prevented the slave from sleeping when lying down.
• Owners of slaves could legally use them as sexual objects ( the next time you talk about Sally Hemings, remember this)
• Men and boys were also sexually abused by slaveholders.